What are you really bringing to the party?
A friend told me a story about introducing two friends. Guy#1 was at the beginning of his career and Guy #2 wants to be in the same field. So picture the scene… 3 guys sitting at a pub, having a drink.
My friend to guy#1: “So.. Guy #2 is interesting in pursuing a career in your field.”
Guy #1: “Really… are you nuts?… stupid hours, no reward and killing unknown trees in paperwork.” [they chuckle]
Guy #2: “I have a few questions. What school did you go to? What degree do you have? How exactly did you get your first job? How do you sleep at night? How many trees exactly? Can you introduce me to your boss? Any hot chicks at your office? What do you get paid? Can I get off early on Fridays…………”
As he continues to talk non-stop, without a breath, guy #1 turns to my friend and gives that look: “Who the hell is this guy? Does he ever shut up? and most importantly, why did you invite him?”
Bad SOCIAL media.
Do you know anyone like this? [insert virtual nod]. In particular, have you found this guy/gal online? I mean, just because the social part of social media is easy doesn’t give you the right to be annoying and frankly, disrespectful. Its the person who jumps online and asks for info / help / advice, but never stops to think to return the favour.
But… here is the hard question. Are you this guy/gal?
Ok… maybe not as annoying, but when you go online are you just there to get something or are you actually giving too? Remember, this is SOCIAL media. Basic, polite manners are required here too.
- Question from Mark Evan’s @MarkEvans tweet tonight “Aside from RIM and the carriers, who are Canada’s the most interesting wireless companies, particularly start-ups?”
- Answer from Mark MacLeod’s @startupcfo tweet “@markevans Metranome (http://metranome.net) – led by ex RIM guys. Doing amazing things with mobile video (full disclosure: client)”
When did you reach out randomly and offer to help?
- Scott Stratten’s @unmarketing tweet on Sunday morn. “Morning all. What can I help you with today? Twitter questions? Marketing?”
When did you offer a sold piece of advice?
- Mari Smith’s @MariSmith tweet tonight “For your new Facebook Page, try changing your calls to action to, “Join us on Facebook” or “Write on our Facebook Wall.”
When did you simply say thank you?
- Jason Fall’s @JasonFalls tweet today “I don’t say this enough: I’m honored people come to hear me talk at events. If you have before, or will soon, thank you. Means a lot.”
When did you pass along some link love?
- Michelle Gillies’ @MichelleGillies tweet today “My friend @LaurindaShaver just launched her 1st blog.Love the story about me & @ChrisBrogan http://bit.ly/a9byBW” [tx Michelle!]
Ask yourself, what value do you bring to the party?